Senior UP official commits suicide
Lucknow: A senior officer died here early Saturday after taking poison, police said.
Vinod Rai was the Additional District Magistrate (City) West in the state capital.
On Friday night, he reportedly consumed some poisonous substance when his family was away in Gorakhpur with only a servant in attendance.
After he threw up around midnight, he was rushed to a trauma centre where doctors tried to save him but in vain.
Rai was ranked as a fine officer by his colleagues and seniors. No suicide note has been recovered.
A police official told a news agency that the family of Rai, who lived in Noida, has been informed and the house here where he died would be opened in their presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption