Senior UP official commits suicide
Lucknow: A senior officer died here early Saturday after taking poison, police said.
Vinod Rai was the Additional District Magistrate (City) West in the state capital.
On Friday night, he reportedly consumed some poisonous substance when his family was away in Gorakhpur with only a servant in attendance.
After he threw up around midnight, he was rushed to a trauma centre where doctors tried to save him but in vain.
Rai was ranked as a fine officer by his colleagues and seniors. No suicide note has been recovered.
A police official told a news agency that the family of Rai, who lived in Noida, has been informed and the house here where he died would be opened in their presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert