Silver worth Rs.3.5 crore looted in Mathura
Agra: A courier company vehicle carrying silver worth Rs.3.5 crore from Agra to Delhi was looted by armed bandits in Mathura district late Sunday night, police said.
According to the Mathura police, the bandits were following the courier van in a Bolero from Agra. The gang hijacked the van and tied the driver and the security guard with ropes. But on the way to Aligarh, the gang members, fearing a security check by the police, left the courier company van on the road, and fled in the dead of the night.
The driver and the guard told the police that the Bolero overtook their van once they crossed Chatikara near Vrindavan, and forced them to stop. Five or six members of the gang hit the window panes with the butt of a weapon and overpowered the duo. Their hands were tied and mouths taped.
The courier van was carrying 36 cartons of silver. Of these, 29 were taken away by the armed gang.
The police later said seven cartons weighing 55 kg were left behind in the courier van. This lot has been brought to the Khair police station in Aligarh district. The rifle magazine, mobiles, and some cash from the driver and security guard were also reported missing.
Agra and Mathura districts are major centres of inter-state silver trading. The silver is used in Mathura by ornament makers, especially silver anklets which are in great demand in south India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets