Situation continues to be tense in Muzaffarnagar
Muzaffarnagar: Tension prevailed in Mohammadpur Raisingh village here where three persons died three days ago in communal violence.
Police and paramilitary forces continued to patrol the area.
"We are taking all precautionary measures to check disturbance in the area," SP, Muzaffarnagar, H M Singh said.
Three persons were killed on October 30 night as communal violence erupted at Mohammadpur Raisingh village under Budhana police station. Eight persons have been arrested and cases have been registered against 15 people in this connection.
Several Jat leaders, including BKU chief Naresh Tikait, opposed the arrest of persons allegedly involved in the fresh round of violence at a panchayat held on Friday.
Community leaders from over a dozen jat-dominated villages participated in the panchayat.
Meanwhile, a local court yesterday extended till November 14 the judicial custody of BJP MLA Sangeet Som, accused of uploading a fake video that played a role in provoking communal tension in Muzaffarnagar in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre