`Sonia on the job to finalise presidential candidate`
Kanpur: Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal Saturday said Congress President Sonia Gandhi was "on the job" to finalise the presidential candidate even as the party continued its efforts to build a consensus on the issue.
On who would be the Congress` candidate for the top post, Jaiswal told media persons here that though Gandhi was zeroing in on the prospective candidate, the party was clear that it would first try to strike a consensus.
"It would be heartening if there is a consensus on the top constitutional post," the senior party leader said on the sidelines of a function at the National Steel Corporation Limited in Kanpur, his parliamentary constituency.
Pointing out that there were still two months left for the presidential elections, he said the names so far doing the rounds, including that of Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, were the imagination of the media.
He also denied that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee was exerting pressure on the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) for a special economic package to the state and that she had linked her support for the Congress`s presidential nominee with it.
"I have no knowledge of this. I have only read this in certain sections of the media," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31