Spiritual gurus` yatras politically motivated: Cong
Bhadohi: The Congress on Thursday alleged that
various yatras undertaken by spiritual `gurus` has the backing
of one political party or the other, or else they are
"These gurus are talking politics instead of spiritualism
ahead of elections...it indicates that these yatras either
have the backing of some party or are politically motivated,"
UP Congress chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi said.
Currently spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is touring
poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and yoga guru Ramdev is scheduled to
campaign against Congress candidates in the polls.
Joshi, who was here in connection with preparations for
Congress` poll campaign slated to start from Allahabad on
November 14, told reporters that Chief Minister Mayawati was
interested in garnering votes on the issue of trifurcation of
She should first set up a state reorganisation committee
and take the opinion of people before moving forward on this
issue, Joshi said.
Congress is also in favour of smaller states but only such
a commission can decide as to which area should go with which
state and the views of people would be important in this
regard, she added.
Meanwhile, in Lucknow Lok Janshakti Party president Ram
Vilas Paswan today termed the BJP yatras as mere "election
"Had BJP been really serious on the issue of corruption it
would not have been indulging in politics in the name of jan
swabhiman and jan chetna yatras," Paswan said.
The LJP leader said that the BJP, which is strongly
advocating the Lokpal Bill could have got it passed when the
NDA was in power if it was that serious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued