Three UP cops arrested for rape in outpost
Lucknow: Three constables of Uttar Pradesh Police were arrested on Monday for letting a 17-year-old girl be raped in a police outpost and "not acting in accordance with law" to rescue her.
The incident took place in the Badayun district, 273 km from Lucknow.
The action followed a complaint by the girl that a man named Gopal raped her inside a police outpost at Lal Pul, while constable Sumit Malik waited out, not heeding her cries for help.
Badayun Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ratan Srivastava told agencies that the three constables have been found guilty of not helping the victim and allowing her to be raped.
"Since the law is clear on taking a girl to a Mahila police station at night and keeping in mind all other circumstantial evidence, we have placed the three constables under suspension and they have been arrested," Srivastava said.
The other two constables - Majid and Ausaaf - were accused of "picking up" the girl from near a pilgrimage spot - Badi Sarkaar ki Mazaar - where she and a middle-aged relative had come to pay their obeisance.
According to police, the girl and her middle-aged relative were found behind a make-shift shop in a compromising position and a mob that gathered there informed the police, taking objection to it.
Since the girl has alleged that the cops had sought Rs 20,000 as bribe to release them, a case of corruption has also been slapped against them, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city