Three UP cops arrested for rape in outpost
Lucknow: Three constables of Uttar Pradesh Police were arrested on Monday for letting a 17-year-old girl be raped in a police outpost and "not acting in accordance with law" to rescue her.
The incident took place in the Badayun district, 273 km from Lucknow.
The action followed a complaint by the girl that a man named Gopal raped her inside a police outpost at Lal Pul, while constable Sumit Malik waited out, not heeding her cries for help.
Badayun Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ratan Srivastava told agencies that the three constables have been found guilty of not helping the victim and allowing her to be raped.
"Since the law is clear on taking a girl to a Mahila police station at night and keeping in mind all other circumstantial evidence, we have placed the three constables under suspension and they have been arrested," Srivastava said.
The other two constables - Majid and Ausaaf - were accused of "picking up" the girl from near a pilgrimage spot - Badi Sarkaar ki Mazaar - where she and a middle-aged relative had come to pay their obeisance.
According to police, the girl and her middle-aged relative were found behind a make-shift shop in a compromising position and a mob that gathered there informed the police, taking objection to it.
Since the girl has alleged that the cops had sought Rs 20,000 as bribe to release them, a case of corruption has also been slapped against them, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism - Part II
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh