UP CM meets Allahabad stampede victims
Allahabad: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav paid a visit to Allahabad on Tuesday and met the victims and the family members of those who lost their lives in the Sunday evening stampede at the Allahabad Railway Station.
He will also take stock of relief operations for the Kumbh pilgrims.
Expressing grief over the tragedy, Yadav had earlier said on Monday that the priority of his government was to ensure safety of devotees at the Kumbh Mela.
"The most important issue for the government and the officials is to ensure that rest of the people, who are stranded at railway station or staying at the Kumbh after taking dip, should reach their home safely and without any harassment," he told media in Etawah town.
Azam Khan, a senior cabinet minister in the Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party Government (SP) Government, resigned as the head of Kumbh Mela Management Committee on ``moral grounds`` yesterday.
"The incident has hurt me. I, taking moral responsibility, have decided to tender resignation as the head of the Kumbh Management Committee. I have conveyed his message to the chief minister and you (reporters) as well," he told media in Moradabad.
The state government had earlier ordered a probe into the stampede, and asked the railways to make proper arrangements to clear rush of devotees.
The Uttar Pradesh Government has also sanctioned an ex-gratia of Rs five lakh to the kin of each of the dead persons.
At least 36 people lost their lives and over 40 others got injured in the stampede that broke out at the Allahabad railway station on Sunday night. The injured are being treated at the railway hospitals and the SRN Hospital in Allahabad. It is, however, feared that the death toll may go up since the condition of some of the injured is said to be in a critical condition.
The stampede occurred at platforms 5 and where thousands of passengers, mostly Maha Kumbh devotees returning after taking the holy dip at the Sangam, had gathered to board a train.
The preliminary reports said that the stampede broke out when the railing leading to a footbridge collapsed.
Railways Minister P.K. Bansal, however, yesterday ruled out the collapse of footbridge or any railing on the railway station as the cause for stampede.
Bansal claimed that arrangements at the railway platform were adequate. He also announced compensation of Rs. one lakh to the families of the dead, 50,000 to those having grievous injuries and 25,000 to those injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy