UP students to get free laptops, computer tablets
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to give free laptops and computer tablets to students in the state who pass the high school and intermediate examinations in 2012.
The beneficiaries would include students passing high school and intermediate examination conducted by UP Secondary Education Board, Poorva Madhyama and Madhyama of Sanskrit Education Board, Munshi/Maulvi and Alim of Madrasa Board, as per the decision taken by the state cabinet yesterday.
CBSE, ICSE and ISC, besides students of recognised ITI and polytechnics where minimum eligibility for admission is high school or equivalent, are also eligible for the benefit.
Ruling Samajwadi Party had promised in its election manifesto to give free tablets and laptops to students passing high school and intermediate examination from different boards.
The government has also decided to increase tax on tobacco and tobacco products while bringing them under non-VAT goods category. Tax rate on pan masala, cigarette and cigar would be increased from 12.5 per cent to 50 per cent.
The government has also decided to amend the Arogya Nidhi scheme and increase the financial assistance for medical treatment from Rs 35,000 to Rs 1.5 lakh.
The cabinet decided to increase the age for superannuation of employees of seed certification corporation from 58 years to 60 years.
Amending the UP Motor Vehicles Act, the government has permitted the use of voter identity card, pension passbook, arms license and identity card as address and age proof for attaining driving licenses and registration of vehicles.
The government has decided to set up UP Social Audit Organisation to ensure accountability in works done under MNREGA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?