UP tops list of communal incidents and related deaths: Govt
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh recorded the maximum number of communal incidents in the first ten months of 2013 accounting for one out of three clashes in the country and also the highest number of resultant deaths--95 out of 143, the Rajya Sabha was told on Wednesday.
The northeastern states of Sikkim, Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland reported no communal incidents this year.
According to data provided by Union Minister of State for Home RPN Singh, a total of 725 communal incidents were reported till October this year which, apart from leaving 143 persons dead, also caused injuries to 1,978 others.
Of this, UP witnessed a maximum of 250 incidents which led to the killing of 95 persons and injuries to 313 others.
UP had witnessed communal riots in Muzaffarnagar in September that left 62 people dead.
Madhya Pradesh was the second on the list with 70 communal incidents that led to to the death of eight persons and injuries to 225 others.
Gujarat and Karnataka witnessed a total of 61 such incidents each in which seven people lost their lives in the western state while one died in the southern state.
Maharashtra saw a total of 64 such incidents in which 11 people lost their lives while 285 others were injured.
"Details of the extent of loss of property and persons rendered homeless in such incidents are not maintained centrally," the Minister said in his written reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read