Varanasi blast: A year on, probe agencies clueless
Varanasi/New Delhi: A year after an explosion
had rocked the Dashashwamedh ghat in Varanasi during evening
prayer time, security agencies are clueless about the module
that was used to trigger the bomb blast that left a 2-year-old
girl dead and over three dozen injured in the temple town.
Those behind the blast, for which banned Indian
Mujahideen had claimed responsibility, continued to remain a
mystery for investigators as did the nature of explosive
material used to trigger the bomb.
The recent modules busted by the Delhi Police in which
six persons allegedly belonging to Indian Mujahideen were
arrested have expressed their ignorance about the Varanasi
Security forces have rounded up many people and jailed
terrorists were questioned without any results.
There was a move to handover the probe to National
Investigation Agency (NIA) but it was dropped because of
issues between the Centre and the Uttar Pradesh government.
The blast had occurred at around 6:20 pm when thousands
of devotees and some foreign tourists had assembled at the
Dashashwamedh ghat for having darshan of the Ganga Arti
The bomb used in the Varanasi blast was a `unique` one as
it did not have shrapnels in it. Forensic experts examined the
blast scene to find clues to the exact nature of explosives
used but the opinion over the explosive material was not
Indian Mujahideen (IM) had claimed responsibility for the
blast in e-mails sent to media houses and said the incident
was in response to demolition of Babri Masjid in 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations