Violence won`t have reoccurred had UP govt acted fairly: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Lashing out at UP government over fresh communal violence in Muzaffarnagar, the BJP on Thursday said it would not have happened had the authorities taken severe and unbiased action against those responsible for last month`s riots.
The party, which has been accused by Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav for trying to communalise the state for electoral gains, said such blame game would only worsen the situation and asked the Samajwadi Party government to make efforts to win the confidence of all sections of society.
"The trouble begins when such sad and unfortunate incidents are politicised. It only exacerbates matters and they go from bad to worse. I think if severe action was taken against those responsible for violence earlier....”
"If just and fair action was taken, then the violence would not have been repeated. UP government should understand this," BJP president Rajnath Singh told a news agency.
He appealed to people in UP, especially in western districts, to do their best to maintain peace and harmony and foster mutual brotherhood.
"I appeal to people to maintain peace and order and expect that the government will take such actions that won`t not allow anybody to raise a question mark over its fairness," the BJP chief said.
Three persons were killed last night in communal violence in a Muzaffarnagar, where riots last month had left 62 people dead and rendered thousands homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends