Weather plays truant in UP, New Year revellers undeterred
Lucknow: Lucknow woke up to a drizzle and chilly winds Tuesday, the last day of the year, but revellers were seemingly determined to party in the night to sign off 2013 and ring in the New Year.
With overnight rains in many parts of the state, the Met Office said the winter chill had set in.
The night temperature in Lucknow were recorded at 1.7 degrees Celsius, making it the coldest night in many years.
Undeterred by the inclement weather, revellers said they would party on the year end.
"It is the last day of the new year and we will let our hairs down, no matter what the weather," says Anshuman, an MBA student who has booked an eatery to enjoy with his friends.
Many eateries, food joints and clubs owners, however, are keeping their fingers crossed as they fear that weather may play spoilsport in the new year bash.
According to the weather office, Muzaffarnagar was the coldest Monday with night temperatures plummeting to 0.3 degrees.
Mercury fell to 1.2 degrees in Kanpur, forcing people to stay indoors. The fall of temperatures in the past two days has been steep and the night temperatures have fallen by more than 3.3 degrees.
Regional Met director JP Gupta said, icy winds coming from the hills were going to further aggravate the winter chill in days to come.
The Met Department predicted slight rain in many parts of the state till Thursday.
Foggy conditions on outskirts of many areas also affected train and vehicular traffic with the Northern Railway cancelling six trains and more than 16 trains running much behind schedule.
Trains that were running late by several hours, included Agra Intercity, Farakka Express and Licchvi Express.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered