Woman killed in communal clash in Kanpur; 5 cops suspended
Kanpur: A 50-year-old woman, who was injured in a clash between members of two communities in Ghatampur area here yesterday, succumbed to her injuries Monday.
The deceased, whose house was set on fire by irate mobs, had received 70 cent burns and died in Ursula hospital here, police said.
A battery shop owner had also succumbed to burn injuries after his shop was gutted last evening, they said.
With this, death toll of the communal clash has reached to two while four others are undergoing treatment.
Meanwhile, five policemen including Chowki incharge of Bheetar village R P Singh, have been suspended for dereliction of their duties, SSP, Kanpur, K Emanuel said.
According to police, situation in Bheetar village is limping back to normalcy. Shops in the market have started opening and children have also started going to school, they said.
However, there is still a posse of policemen deployed in the area keeping a hawk`s eye on the troublemakers.
So far, 11 people have been arrested and search for around a dozen people is on. Police said the accused will be charged under the National Security Act (NSA).
The communal violence was apparently a fallout of a rumour that two minor boys belonging to a community were beaten to death after they were caught stealing from a house in Bheetar village, DM Roshan Jacob said.
The two boys were allegedly caught stealing from a house in the village three days back, following which they were beaten up and later handed over to the police. The detained boys were released yesterday after the village head approached the police, Jacob said.
However, as the false information of the death of the boys spread, an irate mob yesterday attacked and pelted stones on the members of a particular community and set ablaze their houses and shops leaving six persons including a woman seriously injured.
Jacob has announced Rs 2 lakh ex gratia payment for the family of the deceased and has written to UP government to provide another Rs 5 lakh to them.
The DM also announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 to seriously injured persons, and those who have sustained minor injuries will be given Rs 25,000. Those persons whose houses and shops were gutted will also be provided adequate compensation, Jacob said.
SSP (Rural) Anil Mitra said several policemen were also injured in stone-pelting by mobs and they are undergoing treatment in Ursula hospital. The two minor boys have been also been admitted to the hospital.
All rumour-mongers have been identified, police said, adding, they will be arrested soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow