119 pilgrims from AP still `out of contact` in Uttarakhand
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government said tonight that 119 pilgrims from the state still remained "out of contact" in calamity-hit Uttarakhand.
They are among the 400 pilgrims from the southern state who are stranded in Uttarakhand which was hit by heavy rains and landslides in mid-June.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy reviewed the situation with Chief Secretary PK Mohanty and other top officials this evening.
Official sources quoted Reddy as saying that two special flights were being readied to bring back the stranded pilgrims from Andhra Pradesh.
According to officials, 2,747 pilgrims from Andhra Pradesh were on `Chardham Yatra` to the hill state when the calamity had struck.
A majority of them have been rescued and sent back to Andhra Pradesh.
Around 400 pilgrims are reported to be still in Uttarakhand. These include 119 pilgrims, who are "out of contact" with their families, a release from the Chief Minister`s Office said.
The Chief Secretary is coordinating the rescue and relief operations with his Uttarakhand counterpart. A team of IAS and IPS officers from the state is also supervising the operations, the release added.
Meanwhile, an official release said the teams of officials from the state deployed in Dehradun were searching all the rehabilitation camps and hospitals for the missing pilgrims from Andhra Pradesh.
The teams were in touch with Uttarakhand control room officials and military personnel dealing with the rescue and relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Bulandshahr rape case: No CBI probe, says Supreme Court
- India's economy never been in stronger position than today: Parekh
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more