BJP seeks cancellation of Bahuguna`s nominations
Dehra Dun: The Uttarakhand BJP on Monday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission seeking to cancel the nomination of Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna from Sitarganj assembly seat alleging that the ruling Congress had rigged the entire election process.
"In the entire election process at Sitarganj, the state government has violated the election commission norms. Looking at the seriousness of the matter, the nomination of Vijay Bahuguna, a Congress candidate, should be cancelled and a detailed inquiry should be ordered," BJP candidate Prakash Pant said in his complaint to the Election Commission.
Bahuguna is locked in a straight contest against Pant, who had held the posts of cabinet minister and Speaker of the assembly during the tenure of previous BJP governments.
Pant demanded that the counting of votes, scheduled for July 11, be withheld till the completion of inquiry.
The BJP candidate also alleged that Samajwadi Party MLA from Uttar Pradesh Prem Prakash Singh, who represents Barhaj seat of Devaria district, had cast his vote in Sitarganj in gross violations of the election norms.
Earlier, BJP demanded from the election commission to cancel the Sitarganj byelections saying the polling was "bogus".
Taking cognisance of the reports that the Uttar Pradesh MLA voted in Sitarganj yesterday where the byelections would decide the fate of Bahuguna, state BJP chief Bishan Singh Chufal said there was "bogus" voting in the constituency where over 76 percent polling was recorded yesterday.
"We have evidences that the polling in Sitarganj was bogus. This became amply clear when an MLA from Uttar Pradesh cast his vote there to our surprise. This is an open case for cancellation of the entire poll process," Chufal said.
He also claimed that the government misused official machinery in the elections in order to boost the fortunes of Bahuguna.
The Sitarganj seat fell vacant after former BJP MLA Kiran Mandal quit the seat in favour of Bahuguna "for the sake of development of his constituency."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed