BJP seeks cancellation of Sitarganj bypolls
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand BJP on Monday demanded from the Election Commission to cancel the Sitarganj byelection saying the polling was "bogus".
Taking cognisance of the reports that an Uttar Pradesh MLA voted in Sitarganj yesterday where the byelections would decide the fate of Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, state BJP chief Bishan Singh Chufal said the party would also lodge a formal complaint with the Election Commission regarding the "bogus" voting in the constituency where over 76 per cent polling was recorded.
Bahuguna is facing a stiff challenge from BJP`s Prakash Pant in the byelections, the results for which will be declared on July 11.
"We have evidences that the polling in Sitarganj was bogus. This became amply clear when an MLA from Uttar Pradesh cast his vote there to our surprise. This is an open case for cancellation of the entire poll process," the BJP leader said.
Chufal also claimed that the government had misused official machinery in the elections in order to boost the fortunes of Bahuguna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31