Cong MLA surrenders before police in firing case, gets bail
Dehradun: Congress MLA from Khanpur Kunwar Pranav Singh Champion surrendered before police late last night in connection with the firing incident at Cabinet minister Harak Singh Rawat`s residence that left two persons injured.
"Champion surrendered late last night at Cantt Police Station in connection with the firing incident. However, he was soon granted bail in the case," Dehradun SSP Keval Khurana said today.
But the ruling party legislator has not yet deposited his gun used in the firing to the police. A police team will leave for Haridwar today to recover the gun, he said.
The MLA`s surrender, which comes four days after the incident, is being seen in the light of Uttarakhand Assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal`s statement in which he had said that it was Champion who had opened fire at a party at Rawat`s residence and deplored such behaviour by people`s representatives.
Kunjwal was among the dignitaries who attended the party.
Though Champion`s name had cropped up in connection with the incident on the day it took place, everyone including ministers who attended the party and the police were tightlipped about it.
The incident took place on Tuesday night at state agriculture minister Rawat`s official residence at Yamuna colony.
A fitness freak and a sports enthusiast, Champion is known for his fondness for guns.
The incident which left two persons injured had created a flutter in political circles here with the Opposition demanding a judicial probe into it.
Vivekanand Khanduri, who is said to be close to chief minister Vijay Bahuguna, had received injuries in both his feet in the incident and is recuperating at the city`s Doon hospital.
Congress worker from Haridwar Ravindra Saini also received minor injury in the incident as the bullet shot past him hitting his ear.
Though most of the eyewitnesses were tightlipped about the incident, Roorkee MLA Pradip Batra had said the fire was opened by Champion, adding that he fired for fun and not with the intention to injure anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof