Four cops suspended in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Four policemen, including a sub-inspector were suspended here for allowing Prakash Pandey, a convict serving jail term in poetess Madhumita Shukla murder case, to drink alcohol on their way back to prison after a court hearing, police said on Tuesday.
Sub-inspector Dinesh Singh and constables Vijay Pratap, Mahendra Singh and Deepak Kumar have been placed under suspension with immediate effect yesterday when the charges against them were prime facie found to be true in a probe ordered by SSP Keval Khurana, they said.
Pandey, a shooter lodged in Suddhowala jail here after being sentenced to life imprisonment by Uttarakhand High Court in Madhumita Shukla murder case, was taken to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pardesh on last Saturday by these policemen in connection with a hearing.
There are allegations that while being escorted back from the court in Gorakhapur, Pandey stopped at a petrol pump there and drank and ate sumptuous food in the presence of the policemen, they said.
Later, he created a ruckus at the petrol pump and even refused to come back to Dehradun. However, he agreed to return after much persuasion by the cops.
Meanwhile, a detailed report in this regard has also been sought from Gorakhpur police.
Former Uttar Pradesh minister Amamrmani Tripathi, his wife Madhumani, shooter Pandey and another person were sentenced to life imprisonment by Nainital based Uttarakhand High Court in the sensational case of May 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened