Four cops suspended in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Four policemen, including a sub-inspector were suspended here for allowing Prakash Pandey, a convict serving jail term in poetess Madhumita Shukla murder case, to drink alcohol on their way back to prison after a court hearing, police said on Tuesday.
Sub-inspector Dinesh Singh and constables Vijay Pratap, Mahendra Singh and Deepak Kumar have been placed under suspension with immediate effect yesterday when the charges against them were prime facie found to be true in a probe ordered by SSP Keval Khurana, they said.
Pandey, a shooter lodged in Suddhowala jail here after being sentenced to life imprisonment by Uttarakhand High Court in Madhumita Shukla murder case, was taken to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pardesh on last Saturday by these policemen in connection with a hearing.
There are allegations that while being escorted back from the court in Gorakhapur, Pandey stopped at a petrol pump there and drank and ate sumptuous food in the presence of the policemen, they said.
Later, he created a ruckus at the petrol pump and even refused to come back to Dehradun. However, he agreed to return after much persuasion by the cops.
Meanwhile, a detailed report in this regard has also been sought from Gorakhpur police.
Former Uttar Pradesh minister Amamrmani Tripathi, his wife Madhumani, shooter Pandey and another person were sentenced to life imprisonment by Nainital based Uttarakhand High Court in the sensational case of May 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Govt wants unions to reconsider their strike plan
- Will expedite trial in Sheena case: Judge
- In process of overturning 'illegal decisions' of AAP Govt: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung
- Huawei smartphones to come pre-loaded with Truecaller
- Cricket in USA, 1st T20I: West Indies eye comeback after demolition in Tests; MS Dhoni & Co seek revenge