Four cops suspended in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Four policemen, including a sub-inspector were suspended here for allowing Prakash Pandey, a convict serving jail term in poetess Madhumita Shukla murder case, to drink alcohol on their way back to prison after a court hearing, police said on Tuesday.
Sub-inspector Dinesh Singh and constables Vijay Pratap, Mahendra Singh and Deepak Kumar have been placed under suspension with immediate effect yesterday when the charges against them were prime facie found to be true in a probe ordered by SSP Keval Khurana, they said.
Pandey, a shooter lodged in Suddhowala jail here after being sentenced to life imprisonment by Uttarakhand High Court in Madhumita Shukla murder case, was taken to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pardesh on last Saturday by these policemen in connection with a hearing.
There are allegations that while being escorted back from the court in Gorakhapur, Pandey stopped at a petrol pump there and drank and ate sumptuous food in the presence of the policemen, they said.
Later, he created a ruckus at the petrol pump and even refused to come back to Dehradun. However, he agreed to return after much persuasion by the cops.
Meanwhile, a detailed report in this regard has also been sought from Gorakhpur police.
Former Uttar Pradesh minister Amamrmani Tripathi, his wife Madhumani, shooter Pandey and another person were sentenced to life imprisonment by Nainital based Uttarakhand High Court in the sensational case of May 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend