Four cops suspended in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Four policemen, including a sub-inspector were suspended here for allowing Prakash Pandey, a convict serving jail term in poetess Madhumita Shukla murder case, to drink alcohol on their way back to prison after a court hearing, police said on Tuesday.
Sub-inspector Dinesh Singh and constables Vijay Pratap, Mahendra Singh and Deepak Kumar have been placed under suspension with immediate effect yesterday when the charges against them were prime facie found to be true in a probe ordered by SSP Keval Khurana, they said.
Pandey, a shooter lodged in Suddhowala jail here after being sentenced to life imprisonment by Uttarakhand High Court in Madhumita Shukla murder case, was taken to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pardesh on last Saturday by these policemen in connection with a hearing.
There are allegations that while being escorted back from the court in Gorakhapur, Pandey stopped at a petrol pump there and drank and ate sumptuous food in the presence of the policemen, they said.
Later, he created a ruckus at the petrol pump and even refused to come back to Dehradun. However, he agreed to return after much persuasion by the cops.
Meanwhile, a detailed report in this regard has also been sought from Gorakhpur police.
Former Uttar Pradesh minister Amamrmani Tripathi, his wife Madhumani, shooter Pandey and another person were sentenced to life imprisonment by Nainital based Uttarakhand High Court in the sensational case of May 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details