Four ministers elevated to cabinet rank in Uttarakhand
Dehra Dun: In an apparent move to strengthen his position within the ruling BJP, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank on Saturday elevated all the four
ministers of state as full-fledged cabinet ministers.
Vijaya Barthwal, Khajan Das, Balwant Singh Bhoryal and Govind Singh Bist were administered oath of office and secrecy by Governor Margaret Alva at a function at Raj Bhavan here.
All the four were ministers of state in the Nishank government.
With this, there will be no junior minister in the state council of ministers.
Nishank took over reigns of the state on June 27 last year after his predecessor BC Khanduri was forced to relinquish the post of chief minister in the wake of the
party`s debacle in the Lok Sabha elections.
The move to elevate the four ministers to the cabinet rank is being seen as the Chief Minister`s attempt to strengthen his position within the ruling BJP ahead of the
2012 assembly elections.
State BJP president Bishan Singh Chufal welcomed the step saying BJP would further consolidate its hold in the state.
However, there was no announcement regarding the new portfolios. Official sources said an announcement to this effect is expected to be made shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Sensex slips from 11-month high ahead of Fed, BoJ meets
- AN 32 one of safest aircraft with IAF, says Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis seeks justice for Narsingh Yadav, amidst doping row
- India finds promising natural gas hydrates in Bay of Bengal
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang