Four ministers elevated to cabinet rank in Uttarakhand
Dehra Dun: In an apparent move to strengthen his position within the ruling BJP, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank on Saturday elevated all the four
ministers of state as full-fledged cabinet ministers.
Vijaya Barthwal, Khajan Das, Balwant Singh Bhoryal and Govind Singh Bist were administered oath of office and secrecy by Governor Margaret Alva at a function at Raj Bhavan here.
All the four were ministers of state in the Nishank government.
With this, there will be no junior minister in the state council of ministers.
Nishank took over reigns of the state on June 27 last year after his predecessor BC Khanduri was forced to relinquish the post of chief minister in the wake of the
party`s debacle in the Lok Sabha elections.
The move to elevate the four ministers to the cabinet rank is being seen as the Chief Minister`s attempt to strengthen his position within the ruling BJP ahead of the
2012 assembly elections.
State BJP president Bishan Singh Chufal welcomed the step saying BJP would further consolidate its hold in the state.
However, there was no announcement regarding the new portfolios. Official sources said an announcement to this effect is expected to be made shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Have given corruption free govt: Amit Shah on 2 years of Modi raj
- Raghuram Rajan's reappointment as RBI Governor should not be of media's interest: PM Modi
- Can a car headrest be a rescue tool in emergency?
- Peace is a two-way street, remove self-imposed obstacle of terrorism: PM Modi tells Pakistan
- New Zealand plan first day-night Test against England in 2018