Heavy rains in Uttarakhand; most rivers in spate
Dehradun: Water level in most of the rivers in Uttarakhand swelled following heavy rains on the second consecutive day Thursday, even as Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna distributed compensation to the kin of 14 policemen and four state officials, who went missing in the flash floods.
The Chief Minister gave cheques of Rs 17.50 lakh each to the kin of 14 policemen, who went missing near Kedarnath. Rs 10 lakh in compensation was given to the family of a homeguard.
Compensation of Rs 12.50 lakh each was paid to the relatives of three firemen who disappeared during last year`s flooding in Uttarkashi, according to a release. The cheques were given at a programme organised in Police Lines here.
Meanwhile, heavy rains lashed several parts of the state following which water level in rivers has increased. The Ganga, Yamuna, Kosi and Sharda rivers were in spate.
Birla guest house in Raywala area of Rishikesh was washed away after the Ganga changed its course in the area. The river swept away the guest house along with over 20 acres of adjacent land yesterday, Additional District Magistrate, SS Martolia said.
Employees of the guest house were evacuated to safer places in time, he added.
"The water level is being consistently monitored and we are on alert to deal with any possible situation," a senior district official said.
The Chief Minister today visited Tehri district and heard the grievances of the people there. He also called up village heads to ensure that the distribution of relief material to the victims is done properly, officials said.
An 11-member inter-ministerial central team arrived here today to assess the situation in the flood-hit areas. The team is being led by Home Ministry Joint Secretary Lokesh Jha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader