Many buildings in Mussoorie, Nainital, Bageshwar unsafe
Dehradun: Many buildings in hill resorts of
Mussoorie, Nainital and Bageshwar in Uttarakhand, which fall
under the high seismic zone, can be considered unsafe and
faces high risk of damage in the event of an earthquake.
A new survey on tourist town of Mussoorie conducted by
the state government`s Department of Disaster Management has
revealed that 18 per cent of the buildings, including some
hotels and schools, face "high probability" of damage of grade
V and IV in case of a big earthquake.
Significantly, most of these buildings were constructed
in the pre-1950 era and some even during the 19th century.
Under the European Macro-seismic Scale (EMS-98), grade
IV and V are important for vulnerability and risk assessment
as these have the potential of threatening lives of the
occupants of the buildings.
Since Mussoorie falls in zone IV of seismic risk map of
India, the scale of the damage during an earthquake might be
very high, the study said.
In all, 3344 buildings spread over 11 residential wards
were surveyed in Mussoorie with the department using satellite
imagery for mapping the infrastructure in global information
system (GIS) environment.
Of the surveyed structures, the oldest was constructed in
1836 and 290 were observed to have been constructed in
pre-1900 period. A nine-storeyed building was observed in ward
number 8 of the Himalayan town and as many as 30 buildings
were more than five-storeyed.
Analysts also assessed magnitude of the expected direct
economic losses in case of damage.
The replacement cost of these buildings comes out to be
Rs 143.85 crore. And in a seismic event, the likely damage to
these structures would be Rs 92 crore. Total direct or
indirect economic losses are estimated to be Rs 235.85 crore.
Similarly, a separate survey was also conducted on 1165
buildings in Bageshwar and 2865 buildings in Nainital in order
to assess seismic vulnerability of the two towns of Kumaon
region of the state.
Eight per cent of the surveyed buildings in Bageshwar and
14 per cent of building in Nainital show high probability of
grade V damage and very high probability of grade IV damage.
The replacement cost of the buildings in Bageshwar and
Nainital is assessed to be Rs 7.1 crore and Rs 56.96 crore
respectively. In case of high seismic damage, the towns would
suffer economic losses to the tune of Rs 12.82 crore and Rs
96.28 crore, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe