Senior most member of Uttarakhand cabinet claims CM post
Dehradun: The senior most member of Vijay Bahuguna Cabinet, Indira Hridayesh, today created a flutter by suggesting her name for the post of chief minister in case of a change of guard in Uttarakhand.
After the comments, state Congress issued a statement asking party leaders not to issue any statements regarding change of guard in the state.
"If at all things move in that direction (change of guard), of course I deserve to occupy the top post. I am in parliamentary politics since 1974.
"Considering my long legislative experience, I am definitely a contender for the post. It will be beneficial for both the state and the Congress party," Hridayesh told reporters when asked whether she was in the race for chief ministership.
After Hridayesh`s remarks went public, reporters approached Chief minister Vijay Bahuguna to seek his reaction but the latter refused to comment.
However, Pradesh Congress Vice President Suryakant Dhasmana appealed to party leaders not to issue any statements regarding change of guard in the state "as it is a prerogative of the party`s central leadership which has given no indication to this effect so far."
"There has been no indication from the Centre suggesting that the chief minister could be changed. There may be several contenders for the post in the party but that is a different matter.
"If they feel they deserve the post, they can stake their claim only on party forum and not in public. I would appeal to party leaders not to vent their feelings regarding change of guard in the state," he said reacting to Hridayesh`s statement.
Ever since Bahuguna took oath as chief minister in 2012, the issue of a change of leadership in Uttarakhand has been raising its head from time to time.
Every time the issue surfaces, name of Haridwar MP and Union minister Harish Rawat who had lost the race of chief ministership to Bahugna crops up.
The Congress had put a lid on the latest wave of such speculation recently when Sandip Dikshit said in New Delhi that Bahuguna will stay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state