Transparent governance promised in Uttarakhand
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Governor Margaret Alva on Tuesday said her government would provide an accountable, transparent and corruption-free government to common people by creating new districts and administrative units, setting up
grievance redressal cells and forming fast-track courts.
In her address on the first day of the newly-constituted
Assembly, Alva said majority of the population of the hill
state earn their livelihood through agriculture and so the
state government would set up an agriculture college as well
as agriculture schools up to the block development level.
The government also intends to cover 2,000 villages under
state organic agriculture development programme to promote
organic farming and explore markets for selling of their
produce, she said.
Significantly, most of the promises made in the election
manifesto of Congress party have been included in the
Alva said the government would develop the Terai area of
the state as seed producing zone and it would take steps to
waive off the penal interest on agriculture loans upto Rs
The government would also take steps to abolish the
provision of license for setting up sugarcane crushers in
plains, she said.
The Governor said the state government would revive the
traditional rights of people living in and around the reserved
and protected forest areas.
The government would also strongly
advocate before the centre for getting appropriate funds as
green bonus in lieu of environment conservation.
Alva said the government would also open a separate
education institute for imparting "Purohiti education" and
also provide scholarship to students pursuing courses in
purohiti. The government also intends to open new engineering
and medical colleges to check migration from hills.
The Governor also promised to provide an employment
dole of Rs 700-1500 per month to all those youths who had been
registered with the unemployment exchange for the last three
A women finance development corporation would also be set
up and the pension of widows will be doubled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed