Uttarakhand: Char Dham yatra begins
Dehradun: The pilgrimage to the revered
Hindu shrines of Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, popularly known as the `Char Dham Yatra`, began on Tuesday.
Flagging off the yatra, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said the six-month-long pilgrimage is the backbone of spiritual tourism and economy of the state.
Special accommodation and elaborate security arrangements have been made for the pilgrims, expected to be around 50 lakh this year, officials said.
Last year, in spite of the late start of the yatra due to inclement weather, huge number of devotees, both from the country and abroad, paid their obeisance at the four divine destinations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof