Uttarakhand chopper crash: IAF pilot buried with full honours
Mumbai: Wing Commander Darryl Castelino of the Indian Air Force, who died in the line of duty during Uttarakhand rescue operations, was laid to rest here on Sunday afternoon with full military honours.
Castelino was piloting the ill-fated Mi-17 rescue helicopter that crashed in Gaurikund in the rain-ravaged Uttarakhand on June 25.
The burial took place at the cemetery of `Our lady of Egypt` church in Kalina, suburban Mumbai. The funeral was attended by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Indian Air Force officers, Darryl`s family and friends.
Earlier, Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council Vinod Tawde, Mumbai Congress President Janardhan Chandurkar and NCP leader Mawab Malik attended the funeral service.
Castelino is survived by his parents, wife and two small children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise