Uttarakhand govt seeks Rs 600 cr package
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand government has demanded a package of Rs 600 crore from the Centre for relief and rehabilitation of the cloudburst-hit people of Uttarkashi.
"We have demanded a relief package of Rs 600 crore from the National Disaster Relief Fund for the victims of the natural calamity that hit Uttarkashi last month," Deputy Director Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre Piyush Rautela said on Friday.
However, the amount is set to be revised and likely to go up as the assessment of the damage caused by the cloudburst in Ukhimath in Rudraprayag district is yet to be completed, he said.
Twenty eight people were killed and six went missing in a cloudburst that hit Uttarkashi in August this year.
Another cloudburst followed less than a month later killing 52 persons in Ukhimath and Jakholi areas of Rudraprayag on September 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Bhagwant Mann FB video row: Deadline for AAP MP to depose before parliamentary panel ends today
- Donald Trump was 'being sarcastic' over Russia hacking comments
- Full text of US President Barack Obama's speech at Democratic convention
- Tim Kaine accepts Democratic nomination for VP
- Decoded! 5 exciting details of your PAN number