Uttarakhand govt seeks Rs 600 cr package
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand government has demanded a package of Rs 600 crore from the Centre for relief and rehabilitation of the cloudburst-hit people of Uttarkashi.
"We have demanded a relief package of Rs 600 crore from the National Disaster Relief Fund for the victims of the natural calamity that hit Uttarkashi last month," Deputy Director Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre Piyush Rautela said on Friday.
However, the amount is set to be revised and likely to go up as the assessment of the damage caused by the cloudburst in Ukhimath in Rudraprayag district is yet to be completed, he said.
Twenty eight people were killed and six went missing in a cloudburst that hit Uttarkashi in August this year.
Another cloudburst followed less than a month later killing 52 persons in Ukhimath and Jakholi areas of Rudraprayag on September 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Nation bids tearful adieu to APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!