Varun`s wife being considered for Assembly bypoll
Dehra Dun: BJP on Tuesday said it is considering the name of Yamini, wife of party leader Varun Gandhi, among others as its candidate for the July 8 Sitarganj assembly by-election against Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna.
State BJP President Bishan Singh Chufal said a state election committee would meet on June 15 to discuss the names of potential candiates, including Yamini, and recommend them to the central parliamentary board which has to take a final decision.
Chufal said the central leadership had recently asked him about the chances of winnability of Yamini from Sitarganj seat to which he had replied that it would be known only after a ground assesment.
Yamini comes from a Bengali family and BJP wants to give a tough challenge to Bahuguna from Sitarganj which has a sizable population of Bengalis.
Bahguna is filing nomination papers for Sitarganj by- election on June 13. Bahuguna has to enter the assembly within six months of assuming the office of the Chief Minister.
The Sitarganj seat fell vacant after BJP MLA Kiran Mandal quit his seat in favour of Bahuguna last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray