Varun`s wife being considered for Assembly bypoll
Dehra Dun: BJP on Tuesday said it is considering the name of Yamini, wife of party leader Varun Gandhi, among others as its candidate for the July 8 Sitarganj assembly by-election against Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna.
State BJP President Bishan Singh Chufal said a state election committee would meet on June 15 to discuss the names of potential candiates, including Yamini, and recommend them to the central parliamentary board which has to take a final decision.
Chufal said the central leadership had recently asked him about the chances of winnability of Yamini from Sitarganj seat to which he had replied that it would be known only after a ground assesment.
Yamini comes from a Bengali family and BJP wants to give a tough challenge to Bahuguna from Sitarganj which has a sizable population of Bengalis.
Bahguna is filing nomination papers for Sitarganj by- election on June 13. Bahuguna has to enter the assembly within six months of assuming the office of the Chief Minister.
The Sitarganj seat fell vacant after BJP MLA Kiran Mandal quit his seat in favour of Bahuguna last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video