Varun`s wife being considered for Assembly bypoll
Dehra Dun: BJP on Tuesday said it is considering the name of Yamini, wife of party leader Varun Gandhi, among others as its candidate for the July 8 Sitarganj assembly by-election against Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna.
State BJP President Bishan Singh Chufal said a state election committee would meet on June 15 to discuss the names of potential candiates, including Yamini, and recommend them to the central parliamentary board which has to take a final decision.
Chufal said the central leadership had recently asked him about the chances of winnability of Yamini from Sitarganj seat to which he had replied that it would be known only after a ground assesment.
Yamini comes from a Bengali family and BJP wants to give a tough challenge to Bahuguna from Sitarganj which has a sizable population of Bengalis.
Bahguna is filing nomination papers for Sitarganj by- election on June 13. Bahuguna has to enter the assembly within six months of assuming the office of the Chief Minister.
The Sitarganj seat fell vacant after BJP MLA Kiran Mandal quit his seat in favour of Bahuguna last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?