Warning had been issued before Uttarakhand flood: IMD chief
Visakhapatnam: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) had issued advance warnings predicting extreme weather conditions in Uttarakhand before the flash-floods in June, its chief said here on Friday.
Denying allegation that the department had failed to predict extreme weather conditions in Uttarakhand, director general of IMD Dr LS Rathore said, "Early warnings had been issued about the approaching heavy rains in the hilly region."
"Tropic cyclone forecasts by the department have tremendously improved in the country, which in turn reduced fatalities during calamities. Very few deaths were being reported due to electrocution and other reasons," he told reporters.
The accuracy in weather forecast is increasing as the department is getting equipped with advanced technology, he claimed.
"Adequate information about weather will be provided at block levels to help farmers take decision about sowing, cultivation and other agricultural processes. The aim is to minimise the impact of adverse weather on crops and impact of extreme events," he said.
Rathore said that in the 12th five-year plan, the IMD has been working on better monitoring mechanism to mitigate adverse impact of thunderstorms in mountain areas.
"We have been spending on radars and satellite systems for more precision in forecasting," he said.
The INSAT 3D satellite would improve the observational system of the department, which would further facilitate in the accurate data integration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning