8-year-old girl gang-raped, hanged from tree in West Bengal
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
Kolkata: In a grim reminder of the Badaun gang-rape case, an eight-year-old girl was found hanging from a tree at Nandakumar village in East Midnapore district, West Bengal.
Reports said that the minor girl was sexually assaulted, murdered and then hanged from a tree.
Meanwhile, villagers attacked a local `tantrik` and his associates suspecting them of assaulting the eight-year-old girl.
Villagers later handed over the tantrik to police. They allege that the girl was sexually assaulted before she was hanged.
The recent case reminds of the gang-rape case in Uttar Pradesh where, two girls, both sisters, were sexually assaulted and then hanged from a tree outside their village in Badaun in May, which had triggered an outrage across the country.
Even the United Nations and the US took note of the incident and aired their concern on the growing crimes against women in Uttar Pradesh.
India figures third among top 10 countries where highest number of rape took place in 2010, while in cases of murder, the country was on the second spot in 2012, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju cited UN Crime Trends Survey 2010 to underline that the US recorded 85,593 cases of rape in that year followed by Brazil with 41,180 rape cases.
A total of 22,172 rape cases were registered in India in 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media
- Gun battle kills five militants, wounds 10 in Afghanistan