8-year-old girl gang-raped, hanged from tree in West Bengal
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
Kolkata: In a grim reminder of the Badaun gang-rape case, an eight-year-old girl was found hanging from a tree at Nandakumar village in East Midnapore district, West Bengal.
Reports said that the minor girl was sexually assaulted, murdered and then hanged from a tree.
Meanwhile, villagers attacked a local `tantrik` and his associates suspecting them of assaulting the eight-year-old girl.
Villagers later handed over the tantrik to police. They allege that the girl was sexually assaulted before she was hanged.
The recent case reminds of the gang-rape case in Uttar Pradesh where, two girls, both sisters, were sexually assaulted and then hanged from a tree outside their village in Badaun in May, which had triggered an outrage across the country.
Even the United Nations and the US took note of the incident and aired their concern on the growing crimes against women in Uttar Pradesh.
India figures third among top 10 countries where highest number of rape took place in 2010, while in cases of murder, the country was on the second spot in 2012, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju cited UN Crime Trends Survey 2010 to underline that the US recorded 85,593 cases of rape in that year followed by Brazil with 41,180 rape cases.
A total of 22,172 rape cases were registered in India in 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India may approach Britain on bringing back Kohinoor
- HILARIOUS! Harbhajan Singh posts EDITED picture of Indian cricketers – Pic inside!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to hit double century in away Test
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read