8-year-old girl gang-raped, hanged from tree in West Bengal
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
Kolkata: In a grim reminder of the Badaun gang-rape case, an eight-year-old girl was found hanging from a tree at Nandakumar village in East Midnapore district, West Bengal.
Reports said that the minor girl was sexually assaulted, murdered and then hanged from a tree.
Meanwhile, villagers attacked a local `tantrik` and his associates suspecting them of assaulting the eight-year-old girl.
Villagers later handed over the tantrik to police. They allege that the girl was sexually assaulted before she was hanged.
The recent case reminds of the gang-rape case in Uttar Pradesh where, two girls, both sisters, were sexually assaulted and then hanged from a tree outside their village in Badaun in May, which had triggered an outrage across the country.
Even the United Nations and the US took note of the incident and aired their concern on the growing crimes against women in Uttar Pradesh.
India figures third among top 10 countries where highest number of rape took place in 2010, while in cases of murder, the country was on the second spot in 2012, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju cited UN Crime Trends Survey 2010 to underline that the US recorded 85,593 cases of rape in that year followed by Brazil with 41,180 rape cases.
A total of 22,172 rape cases were registered in India in 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon