8-year-old girl gang-raped, hanged from tree in West Bengal
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
Kolkata: In a grim reminder of the Badaun gang-rape case, an eight-year-old girl was found hanging from a tree at Nandakumar village in East Midnapore district, West Bengal.
Reports said that the minor girl was sexually assaulted, murdered and then hanged from a tree.
Meanwhile, villagers attacked a local `tantrik` and his associates suspecting them of assaulting the eight-year-old girl.
Villagers later handed over the tantrik to police. They allege that the girl was sexually assaulted before she was hanged.
The recent case reminds of the gang-rape case in Uttar Pradesh where, two girls, both sisters, were sexually assaulted and then hanged from a tree outside their village in Badaun in May, which had triggered an outrage across the country.
Even the United Nations and the US took note of the incident and aired their concern on the growing crimes against women in Uttar Pradesh.
India figures third among top 10 countries where highest number of rape took place in 2010, while in cases of murder, the country was on the second spot in 2012, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju cited UN Crime Trends Survey 2010 to underline that the US recorded 85,593 cases of rape in that year followed by Brazil with 41,180 rape cases.
A total of 22,172 rape cases were registered in India in 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan