Absconding Stephen Court fire accused arrested
Kolkata: Sanjay Bagaria, one of the directors of the city`s landmark building Stephen Court where a major fire killed 43 people earlier this year, was Tuesday arrested from Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh.
"Yes, he has been arrested," Joint Commissioner of Police Javed Shamim confirmed.
Bagaria was arrested from a guest house, where he had been hiding all these months, a police officer said.
A team of city police sleuths with the help of the Special Task Force of Uttar Pradesh Police nabbed Bagaria, who has been charge-sheeted along with five others in connection with the devastating fire.
Sushil Surekha and Pradeep More, two other chargesheeted directors, are still on the run.
Building caretaker Tarun Bagadia, assistant caretaker Ramshankar Singh and liftman Jaiprakash Singh have already been arrested, said Deputy Commissioner (Detective department) Damayanti Sen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention
- No newspapers, television for Arvind Kejriwal for 12 days in August - Know why
- Flood wrecks havoc in Bihar, Assam; more than 40 dead, lakhs affected
- Houthi rebels form Supreme Council to govern Yemen
- Boy George 'devastated' over friend's suicide