Are all women in Bengal getting raped, asks Mamata
Kolkata: Faced with all-round criticism over the rising instances of crime against women, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Sunday sought to defend her government by counter-posing: "Are all women in the state being raped?"
Addressing a Trinamool Congress rally in North 24-Parganas district`s Minakhan, Banerjee vented her ire on a section of media which has been highlighting the crimes against women in the state.
"These channels have colluded with the opposition and are running a smear campaign against the government. By doing so, they are disrespecting the soil of Bengal," said Banerjee who earlier had claimed that a "media house was conniving with the opposition to murder her".
The Trinamool chief has been receiving flak from intellectuals and civil society members after she rebuked villagers who were protesting the brutal gang-rape and murder of a college student in Kamduni village in the district.
In her bid to deride her detractors, Banerjee earlier had said: "They blame me for everything. Now, they are even blaming me for rape. As if it was I who went to rape... only if I were a man."
With the city Friday bringing out a huge rally in protest atrocities on women, veteran filmmaker Mrinal Sen said the people of West Bengal have given a "fatwa" to Banerjee and her government to mend their ways.
The state recently has been witnessing a spate of alleged rapes and murders. The National Crime Records Bureau has put Bengal at top the country`s charts concerning crime against women with as many as 30,942 such incidents reported in the state in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video