Attacking SEC similar to insulting Constitution: Union minister
Malda (WB): Referring to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s frequent attacks against the State Election Commission (SEC), Union minister Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury on Sunday said "insulting" a constitutional body was similar to insulting the Constitution.
"The chief minister should restrain herself from attacking the SEC, as everyone in the country has to abide by the Constitution," Chowdhury told reporters here.
The senior Congress leader said the state government should cooperate with the SEC in holding the panchayat election in a free and fair manner.
"But what the people were seeing was a clash between Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress government and the SEC, which was `unprecedented`," said the minister of State for Health.
He advised Banerjee to keep in mind that she would need the help of the Centre in developing the state.
The state government is loggerhead with the SEC over holding the panchayat polls in the state. The issues of providing security force and the polling dates were finally settled in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhagwant Mann must be refrained from entering into Parliament: JD(U)
- Pokemon GO launched in Japan, thousands start hunting and capturing monsters
- Oppressed Dalits will teach a lesson to BJP: Arvind Kejriwal in Gujarat
- Una incident: Dalit victim back in hospital ahead of Rahul Gandhi’s visit under 'political pressure'
- Chinese anti-graft protest leader arrested for taking bribes