Attacking SEC similar to insulting Constitution: Union minister
Malda (WB): Referring to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s frequent attacks against the State Election Commission (SEC), Union minister Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury on Sunday said "insulting" a constitutional body was similar to insulting the Constitution.
"The chief minister should restrain herself from attacking the SEC, as everyone in the country has to abide by the Constitution," Chowdhury told reporters here.
The senior Congress leader said the state government should cooperate with the SEC in holding the panchayat election in a free and fair manner.
"But what the people were seeing was a clash between Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress government and the SEC, which was `unprecedented`," said the minister of State for Health.
He advised Banerjee to keep in mind that she would need the help of the Centre in developing the state.
The state government is loggerhead with the SEC over holding the panchayat polls in the state. The issues of providing security force and the polling dates were finally settled in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed