Attacking SEC similar to insulting Constitution: Union minister
Malda (WB): Referring to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s frequent attacks against the State Election Commission (SEC), Union minister Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury on Sunday said "insulting" a constitutional body was similar to insulting the Constitution.
"The chief minister should restrain herself from attacking the SEC, as everyone in the country has to abide by the Constitution," Chowdhury told reporters here.
The senior Congress leader said the state government should cooperate with the SEC in holding the panchayat election in a free and fair manner.
"But what the people were seeing was a clash between Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress government and the SEC, which was `unprecedented`," said the minister of State for Health.
He advised Banerjee to keep in mind that she would need the help of the Centre in developing the state.
The state government is loggerhead with the SEC over holding the panchayat polls in the state. The issues of providing security force and the polling dates were finally settled in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September