Bengal minister says action against rape protestors `wrong`
Kolkata: A senior West Bengal minister and Trinamool Congress leader Subrata Mukherjee Monday called for appropriate measures to prevent recurrence of rape incidents and said that people`s anger cannot be mitigated by resorting to repressive measures.
"Due to indifference of the Congress, these kind of (rape) incidents are taking place. Prime Minister says he will see, steps are being taken, but such incidents are taking place. If it continues, it is a shame for the nation," panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters here while reacting to the gangrape incident in Delhi.
Describing the action against the protestors as "wrong", he said if the government resorted to such action it would be a repetition of Tiananmen square massacre.
"It is necessary to take appropriate steps to avoid recurrence of such rape incidents, but Congress ministers are giving contradictory statements," he said.
Mukherjee said that many people said many things if somethings happened in West Bengal, but the chief minister of Delhi is a woman, UPA chairperson is also a woman.
"However, we are not practising the politics of blame game. This is our difference with other political parties", he remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Five youth killed as car overturns on Pune-Mumbai Expressway
- AAP MP Bhagwant Mann writes to LS Speaker, seeks probe against PM Modi for jeopardising national security
- Boyfriend material! Five signs that prove he is the ideal one for you
- WWE Monday Night Raw results (July 25, 2016): Finn Balor earns shot at WWE Universal Title
- Mercedes to have petrol variants across portfolio in India by September