Bengal to free 22 political prisoners
Kolkata: The West Bengal government will later this month release 22 political prisoners, languishing in various state correctional homes (jails) for years, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said Monday.
"As per the commitment of our government, we have already released 50 political prisoners. Continuing the process, 22 more such prisoners will be released before the Bengali New Year (April 15)," Banerjee said at the state secretariat, Writers` Buildings here.
Stating that her government wanted to enable political prisoners rotting in various jails for years to return to the mainstream, Banerjee claimed that so far 165 political prisoners have been released since she came to power in 2011.
"We are releasing them so that they can return to their normal lives and can spend rest of their time with the society," she said.
Most of the prisoners set to be released are aged between 50 to 60 years and have been in prison for more than 15 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy