Bengal to free 22 political prisoners
Kolkata: The West Bengal government will later this month release 22 political prisoners, languishing in various state correctional homes (jails) for years, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said Monday.
"As per the commitment of our government, we have already released 50 political prisoners. Continuing the process, 22 more such prisoners will be released before the Bengali New Year (April 15)," Banerjee said at the state secretariat, Writers` Buildings here.
Stating that her government wanted to enable political prisoners rotting in various jails for years to return to the mainstream, Banerjee claimed that so far 165 political prisoners have been released since she came to power in 2011.
"We are releasing them so that they can return to their normal lives and can spend rest of their time with the society," she said.
Most of the prisoners set to be released are aged between 50 to 60 years and have been in prison for more than 15 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what