Body of woman exhumed after allegation of unnatural death
Hooghly: The body of a destitute dumb woman who died at a private home for orphans and the mentally was exhumed this evening to ascertain allegations that she had died an unnatural death at Khajurdaho in Hooghly district.
The order for exhumation of the body came after the Block Development Officer of Dhaniakhali Biswanath Ghosh filed an FIR at the Gurap police station, police sources said.
The body was exhumed in the presence of Hooghly District Magistrate S Ranjarajan and Superintendent of Police Tanmoy Roychowdhury.
The sources said that the authorities of the home, Rehabilitation Centre for Mentally Ill persons (Women), claimed that the 32-year-old woman was killed when a ceiling fan fell on her head on July one.
After obtaining the death certificate the authorities buried the body as per the custom of the private home run by a person named by Uday Chand Kumar, they said.
Villagers, however, alleged that there was foul play behind the death of the woman and informed the police, the sources said.
They questioned that since the woman died an unnatural death why her body was not sent for a post mortem examination.
The villagers gheraoed the home during the day alleging that atrocities were being committed on woman and girl inmates.
The SP said that an investigation would be made into the cause of death of the woman.
The name of the woman, who was from Bankura district and was found by the police and left at the home on May 22, was not known. She was named Guria at the home.
State Women and Child Development minister Sabitri Mitra said in Kolkata that she had asked the Hooghly district magistrate to inquire into the incident.
Stating that her department was not informed of the incident by the home authorities, she said that the state government would take strong action if necessary.
WBPCC President Pradip Bhattacharya said that a CID probe should be ordered if not a CBI inquiry into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price