Buddhadeb mocks Mamata for praising Narendra Modi
Kolkata: Mocking BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s praise for West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, CPI(M) Politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Saturday sarcastically said "only a gem can identify another gem".
"Only a gem can identify another gem. He (Modi) has identified the right person," Bhattacharjee, who is also the former chief minister of Bengal, said at a party rally in North 24 Paraganas district.
Left parties led by the CPI(M) are known Modi bashers.
In a rally in Uttar Pradesh yesterday, Modi had lauded Banerjee for her fight against the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre.
"Mamata didi fights against Delhi for Bengal, for the rights of the people of the state," Modi had said.
The Trinamool Congress leadership, however denied to read too much in Modi`s statement.
"We don`t know what someone has said. Our leader Mamata Banerjee is fighting for the people of Bengal, for the development of the state. We don`t need anyone`s certificate," said Trinamool Congress general secretary Mukul Roy.
State urban development minister Firhad Hakim slammed Bhattacharjee for his verbal attack on Banerjee and said the unholy nexus of Congress, BJP and CPI(M) in the state are trying to pursue communal policies.
"We all know about the mentality of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee. The unholy nexus of Congress, BJP and CPI(M) in the state are trying to pursue communal policies in the state and to destroy peace and harmony in Bengal," Hakim said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing