Burdwan killing: Five more arrested
Burdwan (WB): Five more persons wanted in
connection with the killing of former CPI(M) MLA Pradip Tah
and party district committee member Kamal Gayen in Burdwan town
have been arrested by the CID.
The five identified as Tapan Samanta, Narayan Samanta,
Bau Sai, Uday Mondal and Rana Bhattacharjee had been
absconding after the killing of Tah and Gayen on February 22
at Dewandighi in the town, police sources said.
The two CPI(M) leaders were attacked when they took out a
procession to drum up support for the February 28 general
strike called by central trade unions.
The police had information that the five were visiting
their families and arrested them, the sources said.
This takes the total number of arrests in the case to
Of the 11, two were earlier arrested on March two from
the Burdwan railway station by the CID, who took over the case
from the police at the direction of the Calcutta High Court.
With the five arrests, the CID have arrested seven so far.
Earlier, four were arrested by the police after the
On March three, a high court division bench comprising
Chief Justice J N Patel and Justice S Chakraborti had ordered
the CID to probe the incident.
The court, which was monitoring the progress of the
investigation, had directed the CID to submit its first report
on March 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!