Calcutta HC orders FIR, CID probe against TMC`s Tapas Pal
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Monday ordered filing of an FIR against Trinamool Congress MP-cum-actor Tapas Pal for his controversial comments against women and directed that the CID investigate the matter.
Justice Dipankar Dutta, passing his verdict on a petition seeking CID investigation into Pal`s comments against women and other opposition party supporters at election rallies, directed that the high court would monitor the probe in view of West Bengal government`s stand that the complaint did not disclose any cognisable offence and that the state tried to back the MP.
Justice Dutta directed Inspector in-charge of Nakashipara police station in Nadia district to treat the July one complaint by petitioner Biplab Chowdhury, a resident of Pal`s constituency Krishnagar in Nadia district, as an FIR.
The court also directed the state DGP to transfer the case to the DIG, CID, within 72 hours of the order being uploaded in the high court`s website.
Justice Dutta directed the CID authorities to file a status report on progress of investigation on September one.
Justice Dutta, who had admonished the state on previous occasions also, quoted Martin Luther King Junior saying "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Pal had in an open letter tendered unconditional apology to the media and the public at-large for his unsavoury comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack