Calcutta HC upholds appointment of Amit Banerjee
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday upheld the appointment of Dr Amit Banerjee as vice-chancellor of West Bengal University of Health Science and termed his removal as illegal.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice JN Patel and Justice S Chakraborti directed that Banerjee be allowed to function as the vice-chancellor of the university and that his dues be cleared.
It, however, granted a stay on operation of the order for four weeks on a plea by the state to appeal before the Supreme Court against the order.
Banerjee`s counsel Aniruddha Chatterjee said that the doctor, who was earlier the head of cardiothoracic department at Dr GB Pant Hospital in Delhi, had come to join as the vice-chancellor some days late due to a communication gap between the state and central governments.
The registrar of the university, in June 2011, had in an e-mail communication told Banerjee that his appointment had been cancelled owing to this and some other technical grounds.
At this, Banerjee moved the high court.
A single bench of the high court upheld the cancellation of appointment of Banerjee.
Following this, Banerjee moved the division bench challenging the order.
The division bench today rejected the single bench order and termed the cancellation as illegal and directed the state to reinstate Banerjee as the vice-chancellor of the state health science university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack