Calcutta HC upholds appointment of Amit Banerjee
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday upheld the appointment of Dr Amit Banerjee as vice-chancellor of West Bengal University of Health Science and termed his removal as illegal.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice JN Patel and Justice S Chakraborti directed that Banerjee be allowed to function as the vice-chancellor of the university and that his dues be cleared.
It, however, granted a stay on operation of the order for four weeks on a plea by the state to appeal before the Supreme Court against the order.
Banerjee`s counsel Aniruddha Chatterjee said that the doctor, who was earlier the head of cardiothoracic department at Dr GB Pant Hospital in Delhi, had come to join as the vice-chancellor some days late due to a communication gap between the state and central governments.
The registrar of the university, in June 2011, had in an e-mail communication told Banerjee that his appointment had been cancelled owing to this and some other technical grounds.
At this, Banerjee moved the high court.
A single bench of the high court upheld the cancellation of appointment of Banerjee.
Following this, Banerjee moved the division bench challenging the order.
The division bench today rejected the single bench order and termed the cancellation as illegal and directed the state to reinstate Banerjee as the vice-chancellor of the state health science university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre