Congress demands CBI inquiry in custodial death case
Kolkata: Demanding a CBI inquiry and a fresh post-mortem of dead Trinamool worker Kazi Nassiruddin, state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya on Monday met West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan.
Nasiruddin had died in police custody on January 18.
Congress workers have alleged that Nasiruddin died following torture by the police.
"Why was the post-mortem done in a hurry? It was a farce to cover up the case. We want a fresh post-mortem and a CBI inquiry into the custodial death of Nasiruddin," said Bhattacharya accompanied by the wife and family members of the deceased.
"The Governor has expressed his sorrow over the incident. He has assured that he will look into the matter," Bhattacharya said.
He also alleged that the alleged custodial death of Nassiruddin was a result of factional feud within TMC.
On the day of the incident, Hooghly Superintendent of Police Tanmoy Roychowdhury had said Nasiruddin was taken to the police station by a night patrol after finding him in an inebriated state.
He said Nasiruddin`s wife Manuja Begum filed an FIR at the police station that her husband, a resident of Jairambati village, was allegedly beaten to death by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- SIT's recommendation of banning cash transactions above Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT
- Revealed! Release date of Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser
- Rio Olympics 2016: Australia's Cate Campbell swam with hernia, says report
- Apple buys health startup founded by Indian-origin duo
- SHOCKING! This film director wants to 'spit' on PV Sindhu's achievement in Rio Olympics