Congress demands CBI inquiry in custodial death case
Kolkata: Demanding a CBI inquiry and a fresh post-mortem of dead Trinamool worker Kazi Nassiruddin, state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya on Monday met West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan.
Nasiruddin had died in police custody on January 18.
Congress workers have alleged that Nasiruddin died following torture by the police.
"Why was the post-mortem done in a hurry? It was a farce to cover up the case. We want a fresh post-mortem and a CBI inquiry into the custodial death of Nasiruddin," said Bhattacharya accompanied by the wife and family members of the deceased.
"The Governor has expressed his sorrow over the incident. He has assured that he will look into the matter," Bhattacharya said.
He also alleged that the alleged custodial death of Nassiruddin was a result of factional feud within TMC.
On the day of the incident, Hooghly Superintendent of Police Tanmoy Roychowdhury had said Nasiruddin was taken to the police station by a night patrol after finding him in an inebriated state.
He said Nasiruddin`s wife Manuja Begum filed an FIR at the police station that her husband, a resident of Jairambati village, was allegedly beaten to death by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why