Congress demands CBI inquiry in custodial death case
Kolkata: Demanding a CBI inquiry and a fresh post-mortem of dead Trinamool worker Kazi Nassiruddin, state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya on Monday met West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan.
Nasiruddin had died in police custody on January 18.
Congress workers have alleged that Nasiruddin died following torture by the police.
"Why was the post-mortem done in a hurry? It was a farce to cover up the case. We want a fresh post-mortem and a CBI inquiry into the custodial death of Nasiruddin," said Bhattacharya accompanied by the wife and family members of the deceased.
"The Governor has expressed his sorrow over the incident. He has assured that he will look into the matter," Bhattacharya said.
He also alleged that the alleged custodial death of Nassiruddin was a result of factional feud within TMC.
On the day of the incident, Hooghly Superintendent of Police Tanmoy Roychowdhury had said Nasiruddin was taken to the police station by a night patrol after finding him in an inebriated state.
He said Nasiruddin`s wife Manuja Begum filed an FIR at the police station that her husband, a resident of Jairambati village, was allegedly beaten to death by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets