Congress extends `moral support` to Mamata`s Lalgarh rally
New Delhi: Congress Monday asserted that it
had extended "moral support" to the rally organised by
Trinamool Congress in Maoist-affected Lalgarh in West Bengal,
saying it was intended to restore peace in the area.
"Congress has extended moral support to the rally.
Intellectuals, writers, artists and others are working for
restoration of peace in the area," party spokesman Shakeel
Ahmed told reporters here.
He said the West Bengal PCC had received an invitation
for the rally but as the Congress had organised a different
function today, it did not attend the meeting at Lalgarh.
Asked about the involvement of Maoists in the rally,
Ahmed said he was not aware of that but insisted that the
Congress believed in a "holistic approach" to deal with the
"There should be a holistic approach to deal with the
Maoists. This is also the approach of the government. If there
are genuine grievances, those should be removed, if there are
perceived grievances, the perception should be removed, if
development is needed, it should be carried out but if some
people believe in the cult of the gun, they should be firmly
dealt with," Ahmed added.
Earlier, the rally had its echo in Parliament with Left
members seeking to know the Centre`s stand on the alleged
hobnobbing of the Trinamool with the Maoists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'