Cooperated fully with gangrape victim`s family: West Bengal govt
Kolkata: Amid an outcry over the death of a 16-year-old girl who was gang-raped twice and had set herself ablaze, the West Bengal government today condemned politics over her body and claimed that it had fully cooperated with the bereaved family.
"The police and state government fully cooperated with the family. Yesterday, there were a lot of people on the streets because of new year celebrations.
"But still we provided the family with all kinds of cooperation and help it had asked for. We have also helped them in the of the cremation, whatever help they had asked for," Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra told a press conference at the state secretariat.
Stressing on a fast trial, Mitra said the state government had zero tolerance on the issue of sexual violence.
"All the accused against whom there are allegations have been arrested. We are committed to zero tolerance for sexual violence. Scientific analysis and urgent steps are taken in such cases, so that culprits can be punished quickly," he said.
"An example is Hematabad in North Dinajpur, where the culprits were punished within one and a half years," he said.
Mitra, without naming the Left leadership, criticised them for wanting to take out a procession with the body.
"The government is fully with the bereaved family. However, at this point, I would wish to strongly deplore the tendency to create politics over a dead body," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves