Cops file case against Mamata for ‘whipping’ remark
Kolkata: A day after an angry West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee screamed at her security guards in full public view saying they "should be whipped" for making her wait for her car, a complaint was today filed against her in the State Human Rights Commission.
Rights body Association of Protection of Democratic Rights (APDR) has filed a complaint against Banerjee in the State Human Rights Commission, taking exception to the behaviour and language used by Banerjee, which it describes as "gross violation of human rights".
Banerjee, during her visit to the Kolkata Book Fair yesterday, had screamed at the security guard for the delay in arrival of her car at the exit gate.
An official of the Publishers and Book Sellers Guild, organisers of the fair, explained that when Banerjee came out of gate no 1, her car came late to pick her up due to the milling crowd, leading to her outburst. Banerjee told the guard that they should be "whipped".
"What she has done is against the values of basic human rights. It is a gross violation of human rights. We condemn such behaviour and that too from the highest authority of a state. We have filed a complaint," APDR official Dhiraj Sengupta, said.
No senior police official was available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read