Cops file case against Mamata for ‘whipping’ remark
Kolkata: A day after an angry West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee screamed at her security guards in full public view saying they "should be whipped" for making her wait for her car, a complaint was today filed against her in the State Human Rights Commission.
Rights body Association of Protection of Democratic Rights (APDR) has filed a complaint against Banerjee in the State Human Rights Commission, taking exception to the behaviour and language used by Banerjee, which it describes as "gross violation of human rights".
Banerjee, during her visit to the Kolkata Book Fair yesterday, had screamed at the security guard for the delay in arrival of her car at the exit gate.
An official of the Publishers and Book Sellers Guild, organisers of the fair, explained that when Banerjee came out of gate no 1, her car came late to pick her up due to the milling crowd, leading to her outburst. Banerjee told the guard that they should be "whipped".
"What she has done is against the values of basic human rights. It is a gross violation of human rights. We condemn such behaviour and that too from the highest authority of a state. We have filed a complaint," APDR official Dhiraj Sengupta, said.
No senior police official was available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!