CPI-M goes online to court young voters
Kolkata: The CPI(M) on Tuesday went online by logging into its Facebook account and Twitter handle, a move aimed at wooing young electors, a sizeable number of whom would be first-time voters in the coming Lok Sabha elections.
"As the new generation is more comfortable in these form of social media, we had to take recourse to Twitter and Facebook to interact with them," CPI(M) state secretary Biman Bose told newspersons at the party headquarter here.
He said the issue of keeping pace with the new generation and their mode of communication was discussed within the party and "as we felt it was necessary, we had to do this."
Asked if the party had not fallen behind its main opposition which had long back started Facebook and Twitter accounts, Bose said, "It is not a question of falling back. But we are not a cash-rich party, we had to collect money before starting these."
The Trinamool Congress has been using the social media for some time now and its supremo Mamata Banerjee has often used her Facebook account to express her views on important issues.
Expressing regret over the language being used by certain sections during campaign for the coming Lok Sabha elections, he said "inhumans are not social beings, humans are social beings. Some people are using such language which are not acceptable."
"Political bankruptcy is reaching such a nadir that humans are being compared by some with different types of animals and reptiles. This is not politics," he said without naming anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists