CPI-M goes online to court young voters
Kolkata: The CPI(M) on Tuesday went online by logging into its Facebook account and Twitter handle, a move aimed at wooing young electors, a sizeable number of whom would be first-time voters in the coming Lok Sabha elections.
"As the new generation is more comfortable in these form of social media, we had to take recourse to Twitter and Facebook to interact with them," CPI(M) state secretary Biman Bose told newspersons at the party headquarter here.
He said the issue of keeping pace with the new generation and their mode of communication was discussed within the party and "as we felt it was necessary, we had to do this."
Asked if the party had not fallen behind its main opposition which had long back started Facebook and Twitter accounts, Bose said, "It is not a question of falling back. But we are not a cash-rich party, we had to collect money before starting these."
The Trinamool Congress has been using the social media for some time now and its supremo Mamata Banerjee has often used her Facebook account to express her views on important issues.
Expressing regret over the language being used by certain sections during campaign for the coming Lok Sabha elections, he said "inhumans are not social beings, humans are social beings. Some people are using such language which are not acceptable."
"Political bankruptcy is reaching such a nadir that humans are being compared by some with different types of animals and reptiles. This is not politics," he said without naming anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside