Crib deaths in Malda, 19 babies die since Saturday
Malda (WB): Nineteen babies have died in Malda Medical College Hospital since Saturday, hospital authorities said Monday.
Of the 19 babies, six have died since yesterday, they said, adding Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare A H Khan Chowdhury is monitoring the situation.
The authorities said the infants were brought in a critical condition from the adjoining North and South Dinajpur districts and all of them were suffering from malnutrition.
"The infants were all underweight and born prematurely," an official said.
Besides, there was overcrowding at the paediatric ward which has a capacity of 46 beds but 156 infants and children had been admitted.
"The infants and children have their parents with them. So there are about 600 people always present in the paediatric ward and infection cannot be totally checked," the official said.
Chief Medical Officer (Health) Bidhan Misra visited the hospital and oversaw the situation at the Sick New born Care Unit.
The hospital saw nearly 27 crib deaths at the beginning of the year too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble