Crib deaths in Malda, 19 babies die since Saturday
Malda (WB): Nineteen babies have died in Malda Medical College Hospital since Saturday, hospital authorities said Monday.
Of the 19 babies, six have died since yesterday, they said, adding Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare A H Khan Chowdhury is monitoring the situation.
The authorities said the infants were brought in a critical condition from the adjoining North and South Dinajpur districts and all of them were suffering from malnutrition.
"The infants were all underweight and born prematurely," an official said.
Besides, there was overcrowding at the paediatric ward which has a capacity of 46 beds but 156 infants and children had been admitted.
"The infants and children have their parents with them. So there are about 600 people always present in the paediatric ward and infection cannot be totally checked," the official said.
Chief Medical Officer (Health) Bidhan Misra visited the hospital and oversaw the situation at the Sick New born Care Unit.
The hospital saw nearly 27 crib deaths at the beginning of the year too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH