Dinesh Trivedi questions Katju`s remarks about Mamata
New Delhi: Trinamool MP Dinesh Trivedi on Saturday questioned PCI Chairperson Justice Markandey Katju`s critical remarks on West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee that she seemed to have become "increasingly intolerant and whimsical" and said that airing of personal opinions by authorities against constitutional entities could lead to a "free-for-all."
"The Chairman of the Press Council of India has given unsolicited advise to the Hon`ble Chief Minister of West Bengal which was made public, perhaps for reasons of publicity, otherwise such unsolicited advice could have been kept strictly personal and confidential," Trivedi said in a statement here.
"Therefore, one would have every reason to suspect as to the motive of such personal comments. Chief Ministers are democratically elected and states are governed by the rule of law," he said.
On a visit to Kolkata, Katju had said that Banerjee seemed to have become "increasingly intolerant and whimsical" and asked her to mend her ways. Banerjee had retorted saying that she would not function as per anyone`s diktats.
Trivedi said Katju had earlier made comments about Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar also and added that in this manner he could make comments against others in sensitive positions.
"Tomorrow, it could be against the Hon`ble Prime Minister or the Hon`ble judges of the courts or for that matter the Chief of the Armed forces! If this practice is encouraged or accepted, then it is going to be free for all," Trivedi said.
He said democracy has done well in India as various pillars of democracy and constitutional bodies have shown respect and have not unduly interfered with each other.
"The office of the Chairman of Press Council of India is highly respectable and a statutory position. Like any other head of such organization, it is expected that the statements of the Chairman of Press Council of India is responsible, dignified and non-interfering with other constitutional body or the Head of such body," Trivedi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed