Dinesh Trivedi questions Katju`s remarks about Mamata
New Delhi: Trinamool MP Dinesh Trivedi on Saturday questioned PCI Chairperson Justice Markandey Katju`s critical remarks on West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee that she seemed to have become "increasingly intolerant and whimsical" and said that airing of personal opinions by authorities against constitutional entities could lead to a "free-for-all."
"The Chairman of the Press Council of India has given unsolicited advise to the Hon`ble Chief Minister of West Bengal which was made public, perhaps for reasons of publicity, otherwise such unsolicited advice could have been kept strictly personal and confidential," Trivedi said in a statement here.
"Therefore, one would have every reason to suspect as to the motive of such personal comments. Chief Ministers are democratically elected and states are governed by the rule of law," he said.
On a visit to Kolkata, Katju had said that Banerjee seemed to have become "increasingly intolerant and whimsical" and asked her to mend her ways. Banerjee had retorted saying that she would not function as per anyone`s diktats.
Trivedi said Katju had earlier made comments about Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar also and added that in this manner he could make comments against others in sensitive positions.
"Tomorrow, it could be against the Hon`ble Prime Minister or the Hon`ble judges of the courts or for that matter the Chief of the Armed forces! If this practice is encouraged or accepted, then it is going to be free for all," Trivedi said.
He said democracy has done well in India as various pillars of democracy and constitutional bodies have shown respect and have not unduly interfered with each other.
"The office of the Chairman of Press Council of India is highly respectable and a statutory position. Like any other head of such organization, it is expected that the statements of the Chairman of Press Council of India is responsible, dignified and non-interfering with other constitutional body or the Head of such body," Trivedi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt