Financial condition of West Bengal can be improved: Mitra
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress candidate
Amit Mitra, who is an economist by training and is pitted
against West Bengal Finance Minister Asim Dasgupta in the
Assembly polls, has said the state`s financial condition can
be improved with a flow of investments and expansion of
existing industrial units.
One of the trump cards of the Trinamool Congress in
the April-May Assembly polls, Mitra, fielded from Khardah
constituency in North 24 Parganas district, said, "The state`s
bankruptcy can be turned around within a reasonable period of
time under Mamata Banerjee`s leadership through massive
confidence building measures among all sections of society."
Mitra, who has taken leave of absence as secretary-
general of FICCI to contest the Assembly polls, said here
that "minimal capital expenditure" made by the government over
the years had led to this kind of "bankruptcy".
"There will be a tectonic shift in the flow of
investments and expansion of existing industrial units once
the party comes to power in the state," he said.
He said there would be more flow of investments and
expansion of existing units which would bring in more revenue
to the government.
Mitra, who had spearheaded FICCI for the last 15 years
in networking with government officials and industry, had been
a major agent of policy change in agriculture, food
processing, small business, education, health and vocational
Asked about his experience in working with Banerjee as
chairman of the railway expert committee, Mitra said, "Seeing
her vision and methodology of work, I am convinced that the
change which we are all looking for in West Bengal can be
achieved through her leadership."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India