Former WB minister dead
Malda:West Bengal minister and veteran CPI-M leader Sailen Sarkar died at a nursing home here on Tuesday, family sources said.
Sarkar(72) was ailing for sometime and was rushed to the nursing home in the morning when he fell ill suddenly and died there.
Sarkar who is issueless is survived by his wife.
A large number of party workers and leaders assembled at his home here to pay their last respects to him.
Sarkar was minister thrice. He became minister for the first time in 1982 in the Jyoti Basu government and then again in 2001 and 2006 in the Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee governtment.
He was elected to the Vidhan Sabha for five terms from Englishbazar and Ratua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH