Former WB minister dead
Malda:West Bengal minister and veteran CPI-M leader Sailen Sarkar died at a nursing home here on Tuesday, family sources said.
Sarkar(72) was ailing for sometime and was rushed to the nursing home in the morning when he fell ill suddenly and died there.
Sarkar who is issueless is survived by his wife.
A large number of party workers and leaders assembled at his home here to pay their last respects to him.
Sarkar was minister thrice. He became minister for the first time in 1982 in the Jyoti Basu government and then again in 2001 and 2006 in the Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee governtment.
He was elected to the Vidhan Sabha for five terms from Englishbazar and Ratua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'