Former WB minister dead
Malda:West Bengal minister and veteran CPI-M leader Sailen Sarkar died at a nursing home here on Tuesday, family sources said.
Sarkar(72) was ailing for sometime and was rushed to the nursing home in the morning when he fell ill suddenly and died there.
Sarkar who is issueless is survived by his wife.
A large number of party workers and leaders assembled at his home here to pay their last respects to him.
Sarkar was minister thrice. He became minister for the first time in 1982 in the Jyoti Basu government and then again in 2001 and 2006 in the Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee governtment.
He was elected to the Vidhan Sabha for five terms from Englishbazar and Ratua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- UP: 7-year-old girl raped, later killed; police refuse to handover body, beat up family members
- World number two Jordan Spieth still uncertain if he will play in Rio Olympics
- JD(U) questions Amit Shah's credentials for criticizing Jawaharlal Nehru over Kashmir's issues
- Ruias plan to sell another 25% stake in Essar Oil
- Microsoft CEO Nadella's debut book to come out in 2017