HC annuls land acquisition for Kolkata Metro corridor
Kolkata: In a major setback for the ongoing East-West Metro railway corridor project, the Calcutta High Court has declared as "lapsed" the acquisition of land along a stretch where a station was to come up.
Justice Jyotirmay Bhattacharya ordered the land acquisition collector to restore the possession of the petitioners to premises acquired by the state transport department for the proposed Central station at Bowbazar in the city.
"As consequences for non-publication of the compensation award within the statutory period, this Court holds that the entire land acquisition proceedings concerning those properties stood lapsed," Bhattacharya said in his order Sep 6, but only made available Tuesday.
According to the Land Acquisition 1894, the compensation award has to be published within two years from the date of declaration of acquisition of the land.
In the instant case, while the acquisition declaration was made on Aug 27, 2009, the award determining the compensation payable to the tenants amounting to Rs.1,90,000, was published by the collector only on Nov 15, 2011.
While hearing a writ petition filed by Central Calcutta Citizens Welfare Association, the court also held that on failure of the collector to restore possession to the tenants within two weeks of the order, the state government will be liable to pay damages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo