Kabir Suman firm on quitting Trinamool, hits out at party
Kolkata: Noting that being in Trinamool
Congress is "like living without dignity", MP Kabir Suman
on Tuesday remained firm on his decision to quit the party.
Suman, whose sympathetic stand towards Maoists and
outbursts against alleged in-house corruption embarrassed the
party, had sent an SMS to Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee last
night announcing his resignation from the party as well as the
decision to quit from the Lok Sabha.
Addressing a press conference today, he said, "I will
send my views to the party in writing today."
The press conference at his home at Baishnabghata in
south Kolkata was cut short after Trinamool Congress workers
barged in and urged him not to leave the party.
As chaos prevailed, the singer-turned-politician said, "I
am a people`s representative and I will decide how and where I
will spend my MPLAD fund to meet the basic necessities of the
people, like road improvement and water."
Singling out Mamata Banerjee`s loyalist and party
councillor Sobhan Chatterjee for interfering in his work, he
alleged, "remaining in the Trinamool Congress is like living
without dignity ... I have been elected by the people to serve
the people and not to serve the party. I am a slave to the
people and not to the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi