Kabir Suman firm on quitting Trinamool, hits out at party
Kolkata: Noting that being in Trinamool
Congress is "like living without dignity", MP Kabir Suman
on Tuesday remained firm on his decision to quit the party.
Suman, whose sympathetic stand towards Maoists and
outbursts against alleged in-house corruption embarrassed the
party, had sent an SMS to Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee last
night announcing his resignation from the party as well as the
decision to quit from the Lok Sabha.
Addressing a press conference today, he said, "I will
send my views to the party in writing today."
The press conference at his home at Baishnabghata in
south Kolkata was cut short after Trinamool Congress workers
barged in and urged him not to leave the party.
As chaos prevailed, the singer-turned-politician said, "I
am a people`s representative and I will decide how and where I
will spend my MPLAD fund to meet the basic necessities of the
people, like road improvement and water."
Singling out Mamata Banerjee`s loyalist and party
councillor Sobhan Chatterjee for interfering in his work, he
alleged, "remaining in the Trinamool Congress is like living
without dignity ... I have been elected by the people to serve
the people and not to serve the party. I am a slave to the
people and not to the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya